The small crystal glimmered in the flickering glow of the gallery braziers as Razel placed it back with the treasures atop the shelf. A voice not his own caused him to nearly self-destruct.
"You have quite the full collection."
Razel spun to face his uninvited guest, stuffing his irritation behind a mask of banality.
"Twelve. You and Wodehaus should swap notes on sneaking."
The flickering form of the head of the Academy waved away his commentary as it shifted between bodies.
"Not for free. Regardless, I have a matter that requires your assistance."
Razel rolled his eyes and wandered over to a chair before flopping into it exaggeratedly.
"Of course it's not a social visit. Why would it ever be? You know, we've never sat down and gotten to know one another."
Twelve just stared at him impatiently.
"What? It's an honest concern."
"We are accomplices. Not friends."
"Is that forever?"
"Gods, I hope so."
Razel shook his head as Twelve continued.
"I need your help with hunting someone down."
"Don't do that anymore, at least not for you guys."
"I can pay you."
"With what? We've already expunged my record and I've agreed to help only at-will. No will for this."
"They know where the dragon has been stowed."
At that, Razel froze.
"There are lots of dragons."
"Are you really going to make me speak his name in your sanctum?"
"FUCK, no, I get the idea. Fuck."
The planeswalker's eyes darted about the floor aimlessly as he panned through his deluge of thoughts. Twelve waited respectfully, its hands crossed in front of it. After a minute and a few more whispered curses, Razel looked back to his guest.
"What do we know about them?"
Twelve smiled as it handed over an overflowing folder.
"Enough."
No comments:
Post a Comment