Thursday, July 27, 2017

Parley

The dragon fills the emptiness perfectly - by design, of course. The bubble between nothings was exactly sized to his wingspan, allowing him to tower over the rime mage as he obviously had intended. Razel recoils slightly as the other walker materializes, enough for the dragon to smirk.
“I see my presence precedes me.”
His voice is full and total and reverberates through the whole of the minimal meeting space. Razel breathes deeply and speaks, his voice somehow steady.
“You know me, or you would not be here.”
The dragon chuckles, and Razel feels an assault on his senses which subsides in seconds, leaving only a low whine as his Witchbane strains.
“Truth. You utilize cheap preventative tricks. Am I meant to be impressed by your preparedness?”
Razel maintains an unsteady eye contact.
“Not in the least. I only hope you understand the need for said precautions.”
The dragon scoffs.
“I am offended that you humor the thought of me not.”
The rime mage’s eye twitches. The quarters are too close, the space too small. He takes a deep symbolic breath and offers his piece.
“I intend to cut the short speech and get to the point. By now you know the interests I represent and have likely heard of my actions.”
Bolas cocks his head and grins an awful draconic grin.
“I haven’t, actually. Oh, wait. Do you mean the manalith I left in Tarnys?”
Razel’s eye twitches as the Dragon continues.
“-Or do you mean the carvings you’ve since defaced? Terrible archaeological practice for one so interested in the Maggiore.”
He sweats a cold sweat but continues in his plea.
“I understand you are well informed. I acknowledge that your physiology renders you naturally above my own cognition. Still, I seek parley.”
Bolas chuckles, an empty, sucking sound that saps Razel’s mirth in lieu of his own.
“You are in no position to barter with me.”
Razel nods.
“This may be true. Still, while I refuse to offer you service, I can at the least offer you ambivalence in my own dealings.”
Bolas laughs, a horrible, awful noise. It drowns all else. He mercifully stops and lowers himself to Razel’s eye level.
“You demand my presence. Offer me nothing of value except a promise to stop vandalizing my trash. Why should I let you leave this realm alive?”
“I have an in with the Academy.”
Bolas pauses. He retracts to his full height and crosses his arms.
“Continue.”
Razel breathes deep.
“I can have the leaders of the Academy purge your file and avoid any future interaction with you, regardless of what actions you take.”
His scaly foe ruminates for a moment, which in humanoid time may as well be an eternity.
“They are annoyances, easily dealt with as they come. You still are not incentivizing me to leave you alive.”
He leans down and traces his claws just outside of Razel’s personal space. The Orb shudders and creaks.
“I can guarantee Night leaves you alone.”
It was an empty promise - Night had no direct interest in Bolas save for revenge, but now that he had been defaced - it was a chance Razel was willing to take. Bolas seemed to retract, a miniscule mirror of Razel's recoiling.
“Go on.”
“I cannot speak for her other acolytes, but if you can promise to leave her alone, there is no reason I cannot do the same.”
Bolas laughs again, this time shaking Razel to his sparks.
This is your best offering? Leaving me alone? I could end you now. Surely you know to offer me a benefit in leiu of a breakeven-”
“Hence the Academy.”
Bolas subsides and pauses.
“You would clear me of two enemies in lieu of ridding yourself of a singular foe?”
“You are powerful. I am not ashamed to acknowledge your being more powerful than myself. I also recognize that our causes are fundamentally different, but not mutually exclusive. There is no reason Night cannot reign over her realm, while you do...whatever it is you do across the multiverse.”
Bolas smirks again, impressive with his facial structure.
“As for yourself?”
Razel bowed deeply.
“I serve my dark mistress ever still, but her spread does not preclude your activities - not any more.”
Bolas rumbled.
She is directly responsible for the hope that fuels my foes.”
Razel raised a finger.
“Ages ago, wherein nobody would recall the specifics. Functionally, she never happened.”
Bolas narrowed his massive eyes, but offered no argument.
“As for the Academy?”
Razel closed his eyes and lowered his head.
“Their files will be cleared and blocked at my request.”
Bolas squinted, but spoke no more. After a long moment he smiled.
“Done. Leave me be, and I will do the same.”
At that instant he was gone in a flash of flame and shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment